Family Reading Night

Tonight was Family Reading Night at our school. It was a relaxed well-attended event. For the last two years, I've provided a book-making table. It was a simple way to promote writing at school and at home. This year's theme was Super Heroes so in addition to two sizes of books, I added comic book paper. I also provided some sample sketches of cartoon facial features for eyes, noses, and mouths. Add pencils, crayons, markers, and the freedom to create a book about whatever the kids want to make. The best part is talking with the children about their books. I usually send home blank books with students if they want them. It is amazing how folding a piece of paper and calling it a book can spark young writers of all ages.

Custer Family Reading Night 2013

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of adding specific materials for a comic to your book making table!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Please leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...