Don't Poems


A few years ago, my kids and I wrote Don't Poems for my husband for Father's Day. For my post, I revised the poems and added some pictures to match the year the poems were written. Don't Poems are an easy format for students to follow and they also make great Mother's Day gifts!



Sam's Don't List

Don’t talk to me.

Don’t forget, I’m gonna need a ride.
Don’t wear those shorts in front of my friends again.
Don’t you think I need a new phone?
Don’t touch my stuff.
Don’t worry Dad, I’ll be home on time.
Don’t you like my hair?
And don’t ever, ever forget . . .
I’ll always be your little girl.

Mitch's Don't List

Don’t make me get a haircut!!!!!!!
Don’t forget my bat, my glove, my water, and my DS.
Don’t make me practice my drums.
Don’t worry Dad, I won’t get muddy in the creek.
Don’t change the channel.
Don’t make me ride the bus to band, please.
Don’t you want to throw the football with me?
And don’t ever, ever  forget,
I’ll always be your buddy.
                                                                                                                                                       

17 comments:

  1. I love getting a new idea right in the middle of poetry month!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poems & photos of your kids! I like the idea of writing don't poems. Your husband must have been so happy to read those poems. What a great gift! --jee young

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Annie. I love new poetry ideas! And these are great messages to dads--and moms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a poetry format even I might try :)
    I am wondering about the Seeds picture widget in your sidebar. Is there a story?
    Juliann @ nurturingcuriosity

    ReplyDelete
  5. The idea is nice, especially as you've applied it. Your poems brought me back to those teenager days, so full of their busy-ness & needs. Special times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't stop blogging because I always learn something interesting when I read your blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this idea.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I can hear the voices of your children as they share their thoughts with their dad. The line "Don't wear those shorts again" sounded loud and clear from a teenager. "Don't you want to through the football with me?" - gotta love it. Thanks for sharing. :)MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great memories to have. Giggles and touching moments all in one poem. How perfect! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diana,

    So good to see you writing. I love these poems. I've added this to my list of great poetry ideas to do with my kids. I enjoyed how the don'ts were sometimes thinks that we rather teenagey, and some were very daddy's-little kid and some were attention getting. Very sweet.

    Thank you for sharing,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't poems...hmmm. That would be fun to try. It's nice that you have those written pieces from your children. Very special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the others--this is an awesome format for kids and I think they'd have so much fun with it. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea too! Thanks for sharing and how sweet that you have saved these poems from your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These would turn my husbands heart to mush - true word snapshots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like these poems. I have done pattern poems with "I like" "I don't like" but never a specific "don't" poem. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great keepsake and poem form. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Please leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...