Growing and Changing

Near as I can figure, these robin hatchlings are between 5 and 6 days old. They will remain in the nest for another 8 to 9 days before fledging. After another two weeks, the young fledglings should be able to forage for food on their own and sustain flight. Assuming that a blue jay or crow doesn't rob the nest or this family doesn't experience some other disaster, the mother robin will hopefully produce a second clutch in the same nest.

Robin hatchlings on May 15, 2011. I think there are four babies in the nest
but it is difficult to tell.
 

2 comments:

  1. These pictures are amazing! I hope you are sharing them with your students -- I'm sure they would have interesting things to write! Thanks for sharing some new information too -- more than I knew about robins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Alberta spruce next to our front door is in continual use. We've already had a set of eggs hatch and move on and now there are five new eggs back in the nest. So you say this is the same mother?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Please leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...