Newbie to NaNoWriMo

I didn’t start the NaNoWriMo challenge until the third day.  I first considered participating in the challenge last summer. I sat down and tried to write 1600 words about a potential character in a single sitting. I wanted to see what it looked like and how long it took me. Writing at least 1600 words a day was the only way I  thought I could achieve the goal of completing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. I don’t have too much fear of facing a blank page so I shamelessly barfed a character up onto the page. It took a good 90 minutes for me to write 1600 words in a fairly coherent manner. I wasn’t particularly thrilled with the character or my writing but I figured that part of the experience of writing a novel in 30 days was about trusting yourself and just going for it. I didn’t think about it again until the beginning of October. I never really decided not to do the challenge but I never made a firm commitment to myself either. After giving presentations at school on the first two days of November, exhausted and relieved, I went to the NaNoWriMo site and signed up. I didn't begin putting words on paper until the next day. I started my writing by thinking about a character I liked enough to write a lot about. From the character I determined my audience and purpose. My novel is geared toward a YA audience but also boomer parents who might like YA too. It is set in the 1970’s which might even qualify as historical fiction. Seriously, I’m not even sure.

After 12,000 words, I have begun to adore my characters. And for me, this is a absolute shock. I never expected this to happen. I think about them before I go to bed and when I get up in the morning to write before I go to school. My process for cranking out this novel is very different from writing a blog post. But all those weeks of writing SOL’s and playing with snapshots, dialogue, and explode-a-moments has helped me tremendously. And blogging and sharing with the TWT community has given me confidence. I’m looking forward to seeing if I end up completing this novel in 30 days and what will happen after that. Whatever happens, I’m good with it. For me, it is more about traveling than arriving.

Yes, this is a messy plan but at least I have one, sort of. :)

My list of ideas for chapters or scenes for my nano novel. Just
 saying that I'm writing a novel cracks me up. It feels good
just to try!

16 comments:

  1. This is great! I'm impressed with your word count! I need to quit making excuses and just write. My writing plan looks very similar to yours--messy, but coherent enough for me! Good luck to you as you continue writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! This will be an incredible journey and the growth for you as a writer will be amazing. I will stand by and cheer anyone who attempts this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your success after just a week! I'm so impressed that you are working and doing this. It's a very big deal. And thanks for telling us about the process, how you are doing it and the revelation that you have fallen in love with your characters. I'm cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is great that you've joined the challenge! I would definitely have to agree with you that joining this TWT community has helped me gain confidence as a writer again! So thankful for you all! :) Hope that you keep sharing with us how your novel writing goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Diana, more to admire about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive. Have an exciting journey together with your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so brave. I can't wait to see your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, way to go! I admire you for taking this on and I'm glad you are getting a lot out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in awe. I thought about this challenge and wasn't ready to commit. I admire everyone who is working their plan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I am more in awe of your willingness to share your process, while you are in the midst of it than I am with your accomplishments (which is saying a lot). To be able to reflect on your process and be open about it in the midst of something so challenging says a lot about your character. I love that you said you are more about the "traveling than the arriving." Great attitude! You have so much to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Luck Diane.
    It was tough but this year I bowed out after winning two years in a row. My heart just wasn't in it but I am rooting you on
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo hoo! Good for you! It's an accomplishment just to dedicate yourself to writing a novel. Best of luck and keep us posted on your "journey!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm impressed. Bravo! SOL community is wonderful. I have tried more writing and have been motivated due to kind comments. I look forward to hearing more about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job Diane! Seems you have a fine plan and best of all, are enjoying the journey!
    Happy NANO'ing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fantastic Diana! Being a part of the NaNoWriMo Challenge is incredible. It's something I hope to do... someday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Please leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...