Putting the Pieces Together

School was over last Friday. I am proud that I survived--barely. As I wrapped up my year with a flourish of IEP's and Medicaid billing, I also worked at creating and implementing a lesson that I could use as the required demonstration lesson for the Eastern Michigan Writing Project summer institute. With three weeks left in the school year, panic set in. What was I thinking? I was no longer a coach and I wasn't working in classrooms during writing workshop. I talked to a colleague who was more than willing to allow me to visit her class to teach some lessons, but I would have to cancel or reschedule my speech students. I might have been able to justify it if I had speech students in her classroom, but I didn't. For me to cancel students with IEP's to work with other children would be inappropriate and unprofessional. Rescheduling would have been a nightmare. Also, I knew I wanted to use bits and pieces of a previous lesson using "hands" as a topic for writing but my thinking about it was all over the place.  I had to find another way. I decided to teach the lessons to several speech and language impaired students on my caseload.  I'm not sure why I didn't think of it sooner.  The goals of the lesson matched nicely with many of my students' IEP objectives. One of the primary reasons I wanted to be a literacy coach was to assist children with language learning challenges to be successful in their classrooms. I wanted to study the oral language-reading-writing connection in the classroom rather than a therapy room. Now that I am back in speech, I have this opportunity to use my experiences with reading and writing workshops and my passion for literacy and apply that learning to how I provided speech and language therapy. It makes my brain both wired and tired trying to put the pieces together.

4 comments:

  1. That oral language piece is our connecting link, I believe. I devote a chunk every day to working on it (and it isn't included in my intervention check list, please don't tell anyone. :) Thank you for sharing your process. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the oral language piece is a connecting link as well. I also see writing instruction having a big impact on oral language. :)

      Delete
  2. I think it is great that being involved in a Writing Project pushed your thinking into an "ah-ha" moment that will enhance your professional life from now on. That this happened at the end of the school year is fabulous as your ideas have the summer to percolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I am struggling to pull all my thinking together. I just keep writing about it hoping things will jell before I have to present in my class.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my post. Please leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...